Installing Xpenology to the hard drive, is it possible?
I am getting ready to install Xpenology and saw that most are installing to a USB drive and just leaving it plugged in for the system to boot from..
- Can I install Xpenology on the hard drives themselves or is the hard drive space only used for storage?
- If this is possible do you recommend using a small hard drive that would be separate from the main storage?
- Would an SSD drive be optimal for this?
Sorry for the all of the questions, I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before installing on my system!
Thanks for your help everyone!
1. Short answer: Hard drive space is only for storage. Long answer: it can be done, with limitations and risks
2.The best is a USB stick. In case there is a new version of the boot image it’s easy to be reflashed. The small hard drive can also be used, but you’ll lose 1 SATA port and the whole capacity of the drive. The boot image is really small, just a few MB.
3. SSD as a boot drive? see the point no.2. The speed of the boot drive doesn’t matter for such a small image.